- 1951 - 1984 (Accumulation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The entire collection at Bailey's emanates from Drum Magazine. It includes a full set of South African Drum (1951-1984), issues of its sister publications, Drum from other African countries, and an extensive archive of Drum photographers.
A number of articles in various issues of South African Drum relate to the Rivonia Trial:
- August 1963 "The Raid" accompanied by artist Lennie Saks' drawings, re the arrests at Liliesleaf.
- December 1963 "South Africa goes on Trial" with photos and text about main protagonists (Vorster, Mandela)
- January 1964 entitled "They made the news in 1963" and "While the world watches 40 fight for their lives" about the three sabotage trials (Rivonia Trial in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Pietermaritzburg) with photographs and captions about each person (available online).
- June 1964 "The Rivonia men" with a profile of Mandela, Kathrada, Bernstein, Goldberg, Sisulu, Mbeki and "Rivonia - the three mystery men" profiling Mhlaba, Mlangeni, Motsoaledi.
- July 1964 "After the Trial - Sabotage!" and "I'll never forget Rivonia" by Aggrey Klaaste
- August 1964 "The strange world after Rivonia"
An article in the Post related to Rivonia:
- September 1963 "Kill Goldreich Plot - The one who got away" (available online)
Photographs are arranged under subject headings and are by Drum photographers:
Envelope under subject of "Rivonia Trial/Winnie Mandela/Liliesleaf Farm, Drum December 1963-January 1964":
- Includes photos of family members outside the court in 1963, mostly Winnie Mandela, Mrs Mandela (Mandela's mother), contact sheets, various shots of the crowd and police cordoning off crowd with dogs, policemen at Liliesleaf Farm entrance.
Two envelopes under subject " Winnie Mandela"
- Various pictures of Winnie Mandela and children at different times, these include some from the outside the court during Rivonia Trial (mostly same as in Rivonia Trial envelope)
No Rivonia Trial photos were found under other trialists' names in subject folders. The photographs that exist of them come mostly from the Treason Trial.
Photographs online include ones mentioned above and photo of Lionel Bernstein and photographs of Liliesleaf Farm (search "Rivonia" in online search).