Records of Secretary-General U Thant
- 1962 - 1966 (Accumulation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
3 files ; Text-based documents
Name of creator
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- UN Security Council resolutions on decolonisation and apartheid, many of which call for the release of all South African political prisoners, 1964-1965.
- UN Special Committee Against Apartheid recommendations to the Security Council, including calls for the release of all political prisoners, 1962-1969.
- A report to the Secretary-General by the Expert Group on South Africa, with reference to opposition to South Africa being constituted as a republic, and Nelson Mandela's role in the call for a nation wide stay-at-home strike as a means of protest.
- Mandela's renewal of the call for a national convention, following the call made at the All in Africa Conference of African Leaders (Pietermaritzburg, 1961), and a quote by Mandela against racism from his 1962 trial, 1961-1964.
- The text of a letter from Mary Benson to the UN Special Committee Against Apartheid enclosing a statement made by Abram Fischer, Q.C., with reference to the Defiance Campaign, Congress of the People, Treason Trial, Mandela in hiding, the formation of Umkhonto we Sizwe, the purchasing of the Lilliesleaf Farm and the Rivonia Trial, 1966.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Inventory available from repository