Records of Secretary-General U Thant
- 1964 (Accumulation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Unknown ; Text-based documents
Name of creator
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- UN press statement calling for the abandonment of the Rivonia Trial and the release of leaders such as Nelson Mandela and Walter Sisulu.
- Letter from Chief Albert Luthuli, President of the African National Congress, to the UN Secretary-General, U Thant, about the South African crisis. Luthuli makes reference to the Rivonia Trial and the danger that some or all of the accused may be given the death sentence, and requests that the UN help to save the lives of the Rivonia Trialists.
- Statement by the UN Special Committee Against Apartheid, with reference to the Rivonia Trialists.
- Record of the 1128th meeting of the UN Security Council, with commentary from Mr. Hsuch, the Chinese representative, saying that the Rivonia accused are "on their way to becoming apartheid martyrs."
- International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC) memorandum about relief for the victims of political persecution in South Africa, with reference to the ongoing Rivonia Trial of Mandela, Sisulu and others.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Inventory available from repository